Safari Breakfast Muesli Recipe
Simbambili's Safari Muesli
Use your own quantities of raw ingredients to add a Thornybush boost to store-bought muesli.
- All bran flakes
- Rice crisps
- Store-bought muesli
- Mixed seeds – e.g. sunflower and sesame seeds
- Mixed nuts – e.g. cashew and almonds
- Dried fruit – chopped
- Lemon zest
- All spice or nutmeg or cinnamon
- Honey or golden syrup
- Treacle brown sugar
Use about half the amount of sugar and honey to grains e.g. ½ cup of sugar and ½ cup of honey to 1 cup of oats.
- Mix the first 10 ingredients together in an ovenproof dish.
- Place the honey, sugar and butter in a saucepan and melt over a low heat.
- Pour the melted ingredients over the cereal mix and stir thoroughly.
- Bake in the oven at 160°C for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.
Remove your toasted muesli and allow to cool, give it a whirl every about every 10 minutes during the process. This prevents the sugar from clumping.
Luxury Muesli from Thornybush Lodge
- 2 cups breakfast oats
- 1 cup dried banana
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup green pumpkin seeds
- 2 cups corn flakes
- 1 kg store bought muesli
- 1 cup raisins
- 500 ml honey
- 500 g butter melted
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in an oven-proof dish.
- Melt the honey and butter together and pour over the mixed dry ingredients.
- Roast in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes until the mixture is golden brown, stirring every ten minutes.
- Add the raisins, stir and roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Cool and store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- This muesli can be kept in the freezer if required.
Since you are the master of manufacturing these tasty breakfast treats, you can substitute any of the ingredients as you like and even skip the sugar if preferred.
Bring back those blissful memories of your South African safari by recreating our popular muesli for your morning meal, or book a safari with us and re-live the luxury in person.