Individual Chicken and Leek Pies with Avocado and Rocket Salad
Make these simple and delicious chicken and leek pies, with a crisp avocado and rocket salad on the side, the next time you want to impress your guests at a lunch party.
Individual Chicken and Leek Pies
- 2kg chicken breast
- 1 bunch of leeks, sliced thinly
- 1 clove of garlic
- ½ cup of white wine or chicken stock
- 250ml cream
- 2 puff pastry sheets
For this recipe you can use whole chicken breasts of the skinned and deboned variety. If you are pressed for time you can make the salad while the chicken is cooling, or you can cook the chicken beforehand.
The Chicken Filling
- Heat the oven to 180°
- Season the chicken to taste with salt and pepper and grill them until tender
- Set the chicken aside to cool
- Sauté the leeks until soft in a thick based pot and add the garlic
- Turn the heat down, add the white wine and bring the mixture to a simmer
- Cut the chicken into small cubes
- Then add the chicken cubes to the pot, season with salt and pepper if necessary and add the cream last – (you can use chicken stock in place of the wine if you don't want to use alcohol)
- Remove from the heat and pour the fusion into individual ramekins
- Roll out the puff pastry and cut out circles to fit the ramekins so that the edges overlap slightly
- Place the pastry lids on top of the ramekins and bake the pies for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the pies warm with the avocado and rocket salad.
Avocado and Rocket Salad
- 2 avocados
- 2 packets of baby rocket
- White wine vinaigrette
- 200ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Cut the avocados into wedges, sprinkle with lemon juice and arrange them on a serving platter with the rocket leaves
- Mix all the ingredients for the dressing together
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad just before serving